Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:34:21 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We only need two: grep (which shows you the grep hits) and
> > grep-dired (which lists the matched files in dired).
>
> Disagree.  Find can't be obliterated for all usage cases, but using it
> for something like *.[ch] would certainly be inconvenient.

I'm taking the 50,000 foot view. The use of find is an implementation
detail of these two major use cases. Generally speaking, a user either
wants to see grep hits, or file names. So only offer two functions. All
of the other grep commands should be non-interactive implementations.

(These should be post-release changes, by the way. Incorporating
grep-tree into find-grep is an excellent pre-release goal.)

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD