Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:37:18 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> In my experience tramp is _much_ slower than even ange-ftp (in all ways,
> but especially establishing connections).  I think this severely limits
> its utility for general use, and potential audience.

That's my fear as well. Tramp 2.1 has remarkable speedup due to
caching, but it is still too unstable for Emacs 22.

> Because of this I think the hostname (etc) completion are something that
> probably don't really matter very much to most users (and I suppose may
> even confuse those not expecting them -- I don't known the full list of
> syntaxes which trigger them), and thus that it would be fine to enable
> them only if tramp has been loaded (or enabled or whatever).

Host name completion is performed locally. So it shouldn't suffer from
Tramp's connection slowness (*).

> -Miles

Best regards, Michael.

(*): I remember the case where eager administrators generated
regularly /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts with _all_ hosts found in the
company's Intranet, a Fortune 500 company. Hostname completion on such
a host was a pain, until we disabled check of ssh_known_hosts.