Re: python-mode patch

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: python-mode patch
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:39:07 +0200

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:41:21 +1200
Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

#>  > Anyway, it seems that essentially *nobody* is using python-mode from
#>  > CVS Emacs.
#>
#> I think it's only safe to assume no one is currently developing python-mode.

Yes, you are right... but by being a bit controversial I have finally
managed to get people to talk about python.el :)

#>  > The other reason, probably even important, is that there is another
#>  > python-mode, at http://sf.net/projects/python-mode
#>
#> Doesn't this mode only work with XEmacs?

No. It is being advertised as "developed for XEmacs" or something like
that, but it works in Emacs just fine.

#>  > "Our" python-mode has one important advantage, however: it uses comint
#>  > for running Python interpreter, while the other one seems to have
#>  > ad-hoc code for talking to the Python. Therefore I do not think it is
#>  > a good idea to give up developing our version.
#>
#> The other python-mode uses something called pdbtrack. Can that be
#> made to work with Emacs? (Perhaps Ken Mannheimer can elucidate). I
#> am interested in improving pdb in gud.el but don't know enough
#> about python.

I don't know, I do not use pdb much. But it is certainly worth looking
into.

#>  > Taking it into account, I would like to become a maintainer of
#>  > python-mode. I would also like to try and fix as much as possible (due
#>  > to lack of my time it may not end up being all that much, though)
#>  > before the release. It should not cause any real problems since, as I
#>  > said, nobody appears to be using the mode currently.
#>
#> It will be a problem if you accidentally remove features that you are not
#> aware of.

Sure... I will try not to. And now that I know somebody is actually
using the mode, I can hope for more feedback.

#>  > And it is important to have a *working* mode for the release, if it is
#>  > to ever gain a reasonable user base.
#>
#> Others seem to think it does work reasonably well.  Perhaps they can review
#> your proposed changes.

Hopefully. I will prepare a patch or two, then.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand statistics.