Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:21:51 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
 - server.el generates the authentication string with `random', but
Emacs uses the same seed every time. I'm reluctant to call (random t)
in server.el; Emacs doesn't do it for a good reason (repeatability).

I don't think repeatability is realistic within Emacs, because a Lisp function cannot have any control over other functions that might have called random before it. If repeatability is desired, then we need a function to set the random seed to a known value, so Lisp code that requires repeatability can call it at the start of its psuedorandom number generation. As far as I can tell, no such function exists.