Re: Compilation problems with latest MSVC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compilation problems with latest MSVC
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:40:12 +0200

> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:01:31 -0500
> From: "David Robinow" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 12/28/06, David Robinow <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 12/24/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > It seems like latest versions of MSVC are incompatible with the Emacs
>  Sorry. Fumble-fingers interrupted my previous post.
>  Below are values for distributed versions of Visual Studio. It seems
> some hacking on nmake.defs and makefile.w32-in should be able to
> eliminate the warnings.

If you can suggest a safe way of making these work for both VS 6 and
the later versions, we could consider installing the changes before
the release.  TIA

> Visual Studio 6: CL Version 12.00.8168  MSC_VER = 1200
>          Linker version 6.00.8477      _NMAKE_VER = 6.00.8168.0
>
> Visual Studio .NET: CL Version 13.00.9466  MSC_VER = 1300
>          Linker version 7.00.9466      _NMAKE_VER = 7.0.9466
>
> Visual Studio .NET 2003: CL Version 13.10.3077  MSC_VER = 1310
>          Linker vers. 7.10.3077      _NMAKE_VER = 7.10.3077

Thanks.  If nothing else, we should probably detect MSC_VER 1400 and
warn that it's unsupported.

> I tried to get the free-beer 2005 compiler to work about a month ago.
> I  edited out the offending debugtype:both and got quite a bit
> farther. However, I had some other problem (which I can't remember
> now) and ran out of time to play with it.

I worked on that, and had quite a few more problems (related to the
changes in the system headers which come with VS 2005 and to the fact
that there's no single-threaded C library anymore).  I solved those,
but then hit a brick wall when emacs-bootstrap built but crashed
during dumping.  I don't have time to debug the crash, so unless
someone else figures out how to solve it, I guess we will just say
that VS 2005 is unsupported by Emacs 22.1.

I can post the patches I needed to get Emacs to compile with VS 2005,
if someone wants to work on this.

Btw, the bare-bones download of VS 2005 couldn't even begin compiling
the test programs during `configure', since there's no windows.h
header file.  I needed to force VS 2005 to use the Platform SDK
include directory, to get it to compile.  Maybe that's one reason
Emacs crashed, but then how to get the missing headers?