Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:50:06 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

  > >   > > Nobody claimed the code was bug free, but it did do what was
  > >   > > advertised to do.
  > >   >
  > >   > Reality check.  It didn't.  It only worked when one started the
  > >   > main Emacs from a tty with termcap/terminfo settings identical
  > >   > to those where one later started emacsclient.
  > >
  > > Can you please provide a proper bug report of what you are trying to
  > > do and how?
  >
  > Oh for heavens sake, don't you read this list?

Please point me to the message (excepting this one) where you have
sent a reproduceable description of your issue.

I did this:
  > Start something like
  > TERM="" TERMCAP="" COLORTERM="" COLUMNS="" ROWS="" emacs -Q
  > (the point being to remove terminal-related variables)
  > and then, from a tty, start

And then did M-x server-start RET

  > emacsclient -t
  >
  > This does not work.

emacsclient -t started fine for me and it is fully functional, colors
appear as expected.

  > >   > That was the problem I hit first and reported.  And part of the
  > >   > reason is that getenv does not, as opposed to advertised, fetch
  > >   > a terminal- or frame-specific environment variable.
  > >   >
  > >   > So I changed it to do that in order to match its DOC string, and
  > >   > it turns out that the code for _multitty_ (what this branch is
  > >   > supposed to be about in the first place) does not yet fetch the
  > >   > right kind of variables.
  > >
  > > Do you feel that it is reasonable to make changes to the CVS that
  > > you don't create ChangeLogs for,
  >
  > There _is_ no ChangeLog file for multi-tty yet, and I _did_ create a
  > CVS log entry.
  >
  > > don't even post something on the list letting people know that
  > > you've made changes,
  >
  > I _did_ post the patch to the list.

That is not the same as saying you committed the patch.