RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elispmanualindex]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elispmanualindex]
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 06:54:32 -0700

> > I did mention the "HTML `accesskey' attribute", which seems to
> > be a way to attach key bindings to particular elements (such
> > as <a> links).  I'm not sure how far that would get us, or what
> > browser support there is for it.
>
> I don't think makeinfo should worry about keybindings either.
> I.e. the HTML support to specify what is "the index page" is
> all we need.  The info browser will then just provide an `i'
> keybinding to make use of it, but other browsers should be free
> to provide such a thing or not or differently.
> I.e. the support provided by HTML seems sufficient for `i' and
> probably also for full-text-search.

HTML without some indication of key bindings provides no particular support
for keybindings. If the standard Emacs bindings (`i', for instance) were
specified in the HTML code as `accesskey' attributes, then browsers would
still be able to ignore them or do whatever else they like, but at least a
browser that supports `accesskey' would, without doing anything special,
provide user support for the standard Emacs Info bindings.

I don't know anything about `accesskey' besides what I read during a few
minutes of googling. In particular, I don't know which browsers might
support it. But it seems to be a standard HTML way to indicate key-binding
suggestions to a browser - in particular for links.

In our case, putting <A href="an-entry#index.html" accesskey="i"> or <A
href="an-xref#foo.html" accesskey="f"> or <A href="an-uplink#foo.html
accesskey="u"> would presumably be a simple way to indicate to an
accesskey-enabled browser to support `i', `f', and `u' for those three
links, respectively.

If the new Info browser itself was accesskey-enabled, then we would be
killing two birds with one stone. Anyway, it's just an idea that might be
worth exploring.