Re: source repository

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:48:46 +0530

Hi,

On 7/4/07, Karl Fogel <address@hidden> wrote:
Can I also commit through Mercurial, if I use this method?

No, it is a private repo (and I do not won it), it is a read only
access. If there was a read/write, you could but note that they will
not be carried to the main CVS repo of Emacs. If you do want to
maintain your own versioned changes, you could as the cloned copy will
have the complete revision history and a full blown self sufficient
mercurial repo (concept of D-SCM).

Once you have cloned the emacs repo... Use the mercurial "mq"
extension to maintain your local changes as patches on the original.
You can update on a frequency best suited for you and reapply you
local patches. This is the suggested work flow to work on 3rdparty
software. I use this approach for most of my minor tweaks. Once you
find them good enough for the general public, you could post your
diffs to the emacs list for possible inclusion.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!