Re: source repository

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:44:08 +0530

Hi,
For someone like me with no write access to CVS (well, I do not need
for the trivial changes I make), a DSCM offers a mechanism to keep my
local changes under version control. This greatly helps preparing
localized (customized) packaging for our internal use. IMHO, this can
trigger more involvement as people can maintain their own changes
(_under_ _version_ _control__ and repeatedly apply them onto the
mainstream Emacs changes.
Last but not the least, the firewall issue. Many companies block the
standard ports on which files can be exchanged. In most companies I
have worked so far, CVS port has been blocked (long back, Savannah was
running CVS on 443 and I could access). Also, CVS through PROXY is not
widely supported/used. I have just come across unofficial tweaks to
support that. Mercurial (I have not worked on other DSCM extensively
enough to have explored the various features) works on the standard
HTTP port, if you have web access, you have repository access. In my
view, this is also a very important feature.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!