Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:28:42 +0300

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:53:38 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Mac and Windows window systems, is there a reason why X resources
> should be supported in the first place?

I don't understand the question.  The Windows port reads X resources
from the Registry; why shouldn't we support that?

> Sharing the faces between frames would be good to.

What kind of sharing do you have in mind?  Faces are frame-specific,
so changing a face generally affects only the frame for which it is
changed.  If the suggested sharing will defeat this, I don't think
it's a good idea.

> Can faces be deleted? No? This is probably why more and more faces
> accumulate over time (when you use something like color-theme,
> e.g.).

If color-theme blindly adds faces instead of modifying existing ones,
then yes.  Does it actually do that?

> What is the memory footprint of a single frame then?

See struct frame defined on frame.h, but some of its members have
variable length.