Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:35:59 +0100

On 14 Jul 2007, at 22:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

On Mac and Windows window systems, is there a reason why X resources
should be supported in the first place?

I don't understand the question.  The Windows port reads X resources
from the Registry; why shouldn't we support that?

Does the Windows port also save such settings to the registry, or are users meant to write thesis settings there manually? The Carbon port reads such resources from a special .plist file, but it's unclear to me, why. Users would have to manipulate that (XML) file externally, and I don't understand how this would be easier or more sensible than configuring Emacs through the customization or .emacs interfaces.

What kind of sharing do you have in mind?  Faces are frame-specific,
so changing a face generally affects only the frame for which it is
changed.  If the suggested sharing will defeat this, I don't think
it's a good idea.

Share by default, but copy as soon as the face is changed. Stefan has described this in more detail.

If color-theme blindly adds faces instead of modifying existing ones,
then yes.  Does it actually do that?

It adds faces for all sorts of modes, whether you use those modes or not. That's how I have some 700 faces defined from just a couple of themes. (I use different themes to visually distinguish frames depending on the major mode of the buffer that they display.)