Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:21:16 -0400

    Your patch looks reasonable to me. However, I don't feel comfortable
    to decide whether we shall install such a change in the modeline.

The code looks clean enough, and the feature could be useful.  We can
spare one character.  Before deciding on it, I'd like to see reports
from some users about whether they find it useful.

I wonder whether "R" could sometimes get confused with the frame
identification.  Usually the frame name won't start with R, but it
can.  Maybe this indicator should appear in a different place in the
mode line.

Before we install this, the changes to the manuals should be written
so they can be installed at the same time.