Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Redraw problem with overlapping frames]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:03:18 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:
>> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I am still unable to reproduce this bug.  Could you give a detailed
>>> and precise recipe?  Also, what window manager are you using?
>>
>> It is Metacity, standard GNOME setup on Ubuntu.  However, you might be
>> onto something: my computer at home, with identical Ubuntu version and
>> identically configured Emacs does not show this effect.
>>
>> So it might be the X server or display drivers.  Some sort of ATI
>> thingy.  No idea what alternatives I could try.
>
> What X display driver are you using?  If it is the ATI one, you can
> try the generic vesa driver.  Or the other way around.  There is also
> the radeon driver, but it doesn't support all cards (man radeon).

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number:    70200000
X.Org version: 7.2.0
maximum request size:  16777212 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    7
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x2b60be1, revert to Parent
number of extensions:    33
    ATIFGLEXTENSION
    ATIFGLRXDRI

[...]

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (331x212 millimeters)
  resolution:    129x126 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
  root window id:    0x79
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)

I have not much success with other drivers.  Indeed, not even with the
driver after that (it refused to suspend).

--
David Kastrup