Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:17:44 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:28:05 +0900, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu написа:

> GNUstep is too much for me.  One of the most difficult tasks about the
> Carbon+AppKit port was to absorb the difference between multiple
> versions of Mac OS X, and adding more platforms exceeds my ability (I've
> just started to learn Cocoa and Objective-C in July).

But with Carbon+AppKit you're already on the ObjC train riding on the
Cocoa railroad.  A GNUstep application runs flawlessly on GNU/Linux and
(in most cases) on all versions of MuckOS X plus all the other platforms
that GNUstep supports.  So basically, developing for GNUstep is like
developing a Java program for GCJ/Classpath: it is usable in the Free
World as well as with proprietary Java platforms.

So we may say that one prominent incarnation of the "Java Trap" is the
"Cocoa Trap".

I have to admit that I understand your hesitation, more or less.
The trouble with Emacs on GNUstep is that GNUsteppers are not familiar
with Emacs internals and Emacs developers are not familiar with GNUstep.
It is a mountain to learn when you look from both sides.