Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:32:03 -0400

    Text-only startup screens are welcoming, but fancy startup screen is not:
    i.e. text-only screen says "Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component ...",
    but fancy startup screen simply says: "GNU Emacs is one component ..."
    The fancy screen could say the same.

I don't mind that change in wording.

    * normal-mouse-startup-screen:

    The text-only no-mouse startup screen have a link to the *scratch* buffer,
    but text-only mouse startup screen doesn't.  Is it needed?

There is no room for more lines in the mouse startup screen.
I had to delete that one to make the screen short enough.

    In two places of this screen, there are two adjacent empty lines ("\n\n\n").
    This wastes space and makes the screen taller than 24 lines. Should
    two empty lines be changed to one?

Please do that.

    I think the About screen should not duplicate items available in the Help
    menu, because usually users invoke the About screen from the main menu,
    where they can see other items.  For instance, "GNU and Freedom" is
    available under the menu "Help / About GNU".  "Emacs Tutorial" is available
    under "Help / Emacs Tutorial".

These things are important _for us_, so I want them there.

How can I tell Emacs that my console has no mouse?
It does not have one.