Re: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:18:01 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to distinguish settings made
by the GNOME settings demon from those made by the user.

I know that X stores resources in various places.  Perhaps
some of these places should have higher priority than others.

The file xrdb.c, which I have never really understood, seems
to try to merge X resources from various places.  Perhaps
that points a way to such a solution.

Would someone like to study xrdb.c and report on what is possible?

xrdb.c merges resources from various sources. They are read in this order (which is what X11 recommends):

- builtin
- system application file (.../X11/app-defaults/Emacs)
- user application file (XUSERFILESEARCHPATH is searched)
- user database (RESOURCE_MANAGER property or ~/.Xdefaults, and screen
                 specific property SCREEN_RESOURCES)
- file pointed to by environment variable XENVIRONMENT
- command line (-xrm)

Nowdays the users X resources (~/.Xdefaults) are more often than not merged into the RESOURCE_MANAGER property of the root X window (see XResourceManagerString). This is what you see if you do xrdb -query. The Gnome settings daemon also puts stuff here.

That is, resources from the users .Xdefaults/.Xresources and the resources from the Gnome settings daemon are not possible to distinguish.

To further complicate matters, system and application files can be set with the environment variables XFILESEARCHPATH, XAPPLRESDIR and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH.

So it is practically impossible to know the source for an individual resource, except perhaps the command line.

        Jan D.