Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:15:33 +0200

() Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
() Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:24:22 -0400

       Unfortunately, it isn't an exaggeration.

   You're taking a hostile tack which I consider unjust, so I will not
   give weight to whatever is based on it.  You may as well not repeat
   it.

a good hint is strong but oblique.  if it is not strong, it is
missed.  if it is not oblique, it is refuted.

here's another idea:

startup-echo-area-message is displayed even w/ a FILE specified on
the command line (iirc -- if not, we can make it do so again).  so
the mechanism to implement "always show the user a hint" can be
extended like so:

(global-set-key "\C-h\C-a" 'display-splash-screen)

(defun startup-echo-area-message ()
  (let ((fyi "For information about ")
        (gnu (if (eq (key-binding "\C-h\C-p") 'describe-project)
                 "C-h C-p"
               (substitute-command-keys "\\[describe-project]")))
        (emacs (if (eq (key-binding "\C-h\C-a") 'display-splash-screen)
                   "C-h C-a"
                 (substitute-command-keys "\\[display-splash-screen]")))
        (type ", type "))
    (concat fyi "the GNU system and GNU/Linux" type gnu ".\n"
            fyi "GNU Emacs" type emacs ".")))

in this way we show contemporaneously the FILE to be edited as
well as all the hints we wish to give.  true, there are two lines
in the echo area, which may disturb some people when the mode line
moves down on keypress, but i think that's livable.

thi