Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:12:20 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>         What I saw was a splash screen -- but it came with a nice
>>  _dismiss_ button, and even a checkbox that said "don't show this
>>  again".  This is not much of an annoyance -- since it only ever appears
>>  once,
>
> Per session.

I think Manoj's suggestion is to have a "never show me this
again" checkbox on the splash screen, UNchecked by default.  The
user can press "ok" to dismiss the screen until next time, or
check the box then press "ok" to disable it permanently.  If the
user later wants to see the screen again, s/he can re-enable it.

Many programs (e.g. Firefox, iTunes) seem to be adopting this
convention, and I think it works well: When moving to a new
machine, I am annoyed at most once by the warning dialogs I
normally disable.  Novice users seem not to check the boxes, and
continue to see all the warnings.

This method is simple, ensures that novices see the message,
minimally interferes with "emacs FILENAME" invocation by experts,
and is controlled by an explicit user action.  What's not to
like?

/s