Re: invisible

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 20:50:35 +0100

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:33:28 +0100 martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

>> So why does (interactive) have this effect?
>
> I don't know.  I'd have to gdb set_point_both to find out but doing so
> is awkward here.  Maybe you could give it a try.  I could imagine that
> invisibility and intangibility properties get mixed up.  On the other
> hand it might be simply TRT to do for redisplay after an interactive
> command.  Miles and Stefan used to work on this but I'm afraid they
> won't tell us ...

It seems you have already answered this to your satisfaction; I confess
I still don't get it, but when I have time I'll try gdb and see if that
helps me understand.

> Meanwhile could you please check my patch for simple.el too?
>
> (1) With emacs -Q visit my txt file, evaluate the second progn, move the
> cursor after "line7" and try to do C-p repeatedly.  On my system point
> gets stuck after "line5".  Setting `track-eol' to t has point get stuck
> after "line6".

I reproduced these results.  (At first I understood "after line7" to mean
on the next line and did not get your results.  Then I put the cursor on
line7 immediately to right of "7" and got your results.)

> (2) With emacs -Q visit my txt file, evaluate the second progn, set
> `track-eol' to t, move point after "line1", and hit C-n.  `point' moves
> after "line6" instead of after "line2".

I reproduced this as well.

> Now please apply my patch and check whether it DTRT in these cases.

It DTRT: in case (1) point does not stop moving, in case (2) point moves
to the position after line2.

Do you think facemenu-set-invisible should set rear-nonsticky to t?

Steve Berman