Re: invisible

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:26:52 +0100

> It seems you have already answered this to your satisfaction; I confess
> I still don't get it, but when I have time I'll try gdb and see if that
> helps me understand.

I was confused.  What happens is that when Emacs executes an arbitrary
command it adjusts point to assure that it doesn't end up in invisible
or intangible text.  It does this _in addition_ to point adjustment
whenever scanning for a newline.

If you really want to debug something you could try to find out why line
numbers are not updated correctly.  But there's probably an easy
explanation for that, maybe some optimization for scrolling quickly.

> Do you think facemenu-set-invisible should set rear-nonsticky to t?

Probably.  There's no use typing text you don't see.  The same holds for
intangible and read-only text.  FWIW, these properties should have an
entry in `text-property-default-nonsticky' which would solve the problem
in a more general and intuitive fashion.