Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:39:48 +0530

Hi,

On Jan 7, 2008 10:22 AM, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:
> Note however that with CVS, getting CVS head and building it is hardly
> more expensive than downloading a source tarball - wrt both bandwidth
> and disk space.  With git, the situation is vastly different: you cannot
> just get the head, you always get the whole change history, so instead
> of 40MB, you will be getting and storing 200MB.  This may not be a big
> deal these days for many people, but it might be a showstopper for some.

FWIK, there are options to specify the depth of revision history you
want in a clone. You can reduce the data size. The GIT/Mercurial
repository frontend has an option to make a snapshot of the current
repository. People could use that feature too. IMHO, it is something
that is realizable with dVCS.

-dky

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!