Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:00:41 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Whenever I use "emacs -Q" or some similar "vanilla Emacs", the first
> thing that I'm urged to do is M-x transient-mark-mode (and it was
> already N°1 back when fotn-lock-mode wasn't the default).
>
> Of course, I'm sure I'd be able to learn to live without it.  It seems
> like an option affect people *very* strongly, so those who want it
> *really* want it, and those who don't *really* don't.

That means that it has presumably some strong advantages and some strong
disadvantages.  If they are not immediate consequences of one another,
the controversy might be better resolved by lessening the disadvantages
rather than having to choose.

> So, that's for my personal preference.  As to why turn it on *by
> default*, here are some reasons why I think it should be ON by default:
> - Visual feedback about the mark's position and active status.
>   I and all (X)Emacs users I know personally (i.e. off-this-list) and
>   with whom I've talked about transient-mark-mode use
>   transient-mark-mode (or its XEmacs equivalent)

All I know personally can't stand it.  Now what?

> and find it difficult to use Emacs without it because of the lack of
> visual feedback about where the mark really is.

Huh?  That's what C-x C-x is for (among other things).  And if you want
a more permanent feedback, even C-u C-x C-x is now available.