Provide different sets of .emacs [Was: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by d

From: William Xu
Subject: Provide different sets of .emacs [Was: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:52:31 +0900

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible to satisfy both types of users?
> Can't there be two variants of Emacs?

This discussion grows so huge...  I think we can provide different sets
of .emacs aiming at different people.

In the EMMS[1] project, we have a separate file `emms-setup.el' dealing
with a similar situation, it includes four pre-defined sets of
configurations:

,----[ four configurations ]
| (defun emms-minimalistic ()
|   "An Emms setup script.
| Invisible playlists and all the basics for playing media."
| )
|
| (defun emms-standard ()
|   "An Emms setup script.
| Everything included in the `emms-minimalistic' setup, the Emms
| interactive playlist mode, reading information from tagged
| audio files, and a metadata cache."
| )
|
| (defun emms-all ()
|   "An Emms setup script.
| Everything included in the `emms-standard' setup and adds all the
| stable features which come with the Emms distribution."
| )
|
| (defun emms-devel ()
|   "An Emms setup script.
| Everything included in the `emms-all' setup and adds all the
| features which come with the Emms distribution regardless of if
| they are considered stable or not.  Use this if you like living
| on the edge."
| )
`----

Emacs could have something similar, like emacs-newbie, emacs-guru...
Then for instance, in this thread, we can make transient-mark-mode off
in emacs-newbie and on in emacs-guru.  That will make everyone happy,
right? After all, you just need one command jumping to different set of
configurations.

Footnotes,
[1] EMMS, http://www.gnu.org/software/emms/

--