Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:13:53 +0000

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Hm, looking at the code `bookmark-buffer-file-name' is only called
>>> for buffers that don't have `bookmark-make-record-function' set
>>> locally, so I don't see why you would need that?
>>
>> I think you mean: `bookmark-make-cell-function', right?
>
> Nope, Karl has renamed it to bookmark-make-record-function.

No, there is both

  bookmark-make-record-function (line 466)
  bookmark-make-cell-function (line 741)

>> Now a mode can define `bookmark-make-cell-function' so that it tells
>> bookmark.el how to set the name of the bookmark.
>
> Now it's bookmark-make-record-function, but that has been there (as
> b-m-cell-f) for a while now...

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere.
bookmark-make-record-function makes the *record* depending on the mode
we are in.  But so far, there way no other way to get the *name* of the
bookmark than to rely on `bookmark-buffer-file-name'.

Now the local value of `bookmark-make-cell-function' is first checked,
in case the mode sets this specifically.

> And others can't follow while others talk. :-)

:)

Hopes it's clearer now...

--
Bastien