Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:57:57 +0100

>>  >  > To see this, maximize a window and do
>>  >  >
>>  >  > (let ((window-min-height 1)) (split-window-vertically 2))
>>  >  >
>>  >  > Then make this window normal size and see what happens.
>>
>> This doesn't show anything.  `window-min-height' can have any value when
>> the "make this window normal size" happens.  Unfortunately, doing
>

> You mean it happens async?

I don't understand.  In your example you bind `window-min-height' to 1
only while you split the window.  When you resize the frame the binding
is not effective - presumably the top-level value is used instead.

> Maybe, but in that case I have seen another one too. The layout when I
> first saw this was:
>
> xxxxxxxxx
> x   x   x
> x   x   x
> x   x   x
> xxxxxxxxx
> x       x
> xxxxxxxxx
>
> Three windows. The bottom 1-line window disappeared. (This was in ediff
> with the control panel in the same frame.)

Yes, but in general the ediff frame is not maximized when it's created,
hence people usually won't see that.  I suppose you somehow managed to
start with a maximized frame and a one-text-line control panel.  When
you de-maximize that frame the shrinking mechanism may remove the
control panel window provided `window-min-height' evals to the standard
value 4.

Setting `window-min-height' to 1 when the window wants a modeline is
asking for trouble and the documentation should say so.  However Emacs
should handle this case gracefully.