Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:47:50 -0400

>     It'd be a disaster to have to restate the whole command or even just the
>     interactive spec to make commands CUA-mode aware.  Right now, if I am
>     using an external package that is not fully CUA-mode aware (like
>     CC-mode), all I need to do is:
>
> That is a valid point -- it is useful to be able to patch an external
> library command by adding a property.
>
> However, for writing commands in Emacs, I think the cleanest way
> is to use the interactive spec.
>
> So I think we should support both ways, but prefer the interactive
> spec.

Yeah.

So I suppose precedence would be given to the interactive spec; if the ^
code is not present, we'd check the `handle-shift-selection' property.
Also, to support an easy way of turning off shift selection in commands,
a value of (say) `off' in the `handle-shift-selection' property would
mean to avoid doing shift selection (otherwise, we wouldn't be able to
tell whether `handle-shift-selection' nil means the property hasn't been
defined, or whether the user wants to turn shift-selection off).

We would probably need a global variable to turn off shift-selection for
all commands too.

WDYT?