Re: Emacs does not listen on w32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs does not listen on w32
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 03:38:07 +0200

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  You wouldn't: when the WM_CLOSE message is put into the queue, the
>  currently running Elisp code would additionally be interrupted
>  "unconditionally" by setting the quit-flag.

Yes, that's what I think Lennart was suggesting.

>  I'm not sure if that'd be the right behavior.

It certainly doesn't look like such.

> In any case, the first
>  thing to do is to figure out what *really* happened in the first place.
>  We don't even know why Emacs didn't respond.  Maybe it has nothing to do
>  with the processing of WM_CLOSE.

I don't think the problem was related to WM_CLOSE. What you suggested
is much more likely: a memory leak. Windows tends to be *extremely*
unresponsive on low-memory situations.

My answering to Lennart is because he's trying to hack around a
probable bug by pushing for a half-cooked idea, when a combination of
(the Windows equivalent of) kill -9 and gdb would be more appropriate
:)

 Juanma