Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:55:53 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Torsten Bronger <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately, another issue with the current CVS version was a
> blocker for my particular case, so I switched back to an older
> version a couple of minutes ago.  Hmpf.  My current Emacs version
> (which displays the sub- and superscripts with correct widths) says

>      dejavu sans
> mono:pixelsize=17:foundry=unknown:weight=regular:slant=normal:width=normal
> (#x6A6)

> > By the way, are you sure that your monospace-13 font has glyphs
> > for all of them.  In my environtment, monospace font is actually
> > mapped to "bitstream vera sans mono" and that font doesn't have
> > glyphs for those characters.

> It's the same here.  However, the sub/superscripts used to work
> until recently, see above.

Ah!  "dejavu sans mono" and "bitstream vera sans mono"
happen to have the same metrics.

> > In such a situation, it's difficult to expect to see them with the
> > same metrics as others.

> If the adjustment of glyphs from different fonts is not feasible, I
> must and can live with it.  But it's certainly a useful thing to
> have in my opinion.

I agree.  It's possible to implement a code to prefer a font
of the same metrics (e.g. ascent, descent, avgwidth) as the
default one in font-selection.  But, for that, Emacs
consumes more memory and time for font finding.  And even
with that, people may prefer a different font.

I need more time to consider this problem.

BTW, if you know that you want "dejavu sans mono" for them,
how about using it as the fallback font as this:

(set-fontset-font
 "fontset-default" nil
 '("dejavu sans mono" . "iso10646-1") nil 'prepend)

It worked in my environment.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden