Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:18:26 +0900

I wrote:
>> I still can't reproduce this, or Miles' problem whrere gdb-ui will hide the
>> gdb
>> buffer as a side-effect of popping up the source buffer (which may be a
>> consequence of the GUD buffer _not_ being in a dedicated window.
>> OK, I've just tried using gdb-ui without making windows dedicated and not
>> noticed any degradation in performance.  Maybe dedicating the windows is
>> historical and isn't needed now windows are split more readily.  It's really
>> just evolved from my arbitrary personal use.  If you want to submit a patch
>> and
>> others, e.g., Miles, think it's an improvement, I'll be happy to install
>> it.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on really -- the window doesn't seem to be
> dedicated.  I'm not sure if I am using the same setup as other people, I
> just say "M-x gdb" to invoke gdb, and get, initially, just a single
> *gud...* buffer.

Ah, actually I can reproduce it with "emacs -Q":

  (1) start a gdb session in emacs, and hit a breakpoint or something so
      that gdb pops up the source in another window (splitting the frame)

  (2) Switch to the source window with "C-x o"

  (3) Delete the other [*gud...*] window with "C-x 1"

  (4) Switch back to the *gud...* buffer using "C-x b *gud...* RET"

  (5) Try to pop up the source buffer again using a gdb command, e.g.,
      just "frame RET".

*bang*, *gdb...* buffer disappears, source buffer is only ting
displayed... :-(

-Miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and