Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:05:38 -0400

    While I don't know off hand of any C programs that use other build
    control tools, few of the scripting languages and web frameworks do.

That has two directly opposite meanings.
Few of the scripting languages use other build control tools?
Few of the scripting languages use the GNU build control tools?

However, the issue I'm concerned with is about interfaces, not
implementation.

    Python has its setup.py and dist-tools, I believe Ruby and Perl have
    similar build systems, Haskell has its Cabal, and there are a number
    of more general rivals to the autotools such as Scons which are
    attracting attention.

Would it be possible to put wrappers around these other methods
so as to implement the GNU configure and build specs around those
other methods?

    If in "system" you intend to include such applications, then I would
    have to guess that programs that don't conform to GNU standards for
    configuration and build are proliferating rapidly.

Is this because people are using those other languages
in which people tend not to support our specs,
or are C programs also increasingly ignoring our specs?

      I also know of
    several free software programs for Mac OS X which presumably could be
    ported to GNUStep, but AFAIK are dependent on Apple's proprietary
    Xcode tool

That is very bad.  What are the names of these programs?