Re: whither GNU

From: David Robinow
Subject: Re: whither GNU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:40:33 -0400

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:34, Thomas Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The GNU projects, especially central ones like Emacs, do
>> double duty as "messages" and their role as messages takes
>> priority over technical quality.
>
> That was pretty evident in the way bzr did get "chosen" as future dVCS
> for Emacs.
No, that's a separate issue. Thomas is referring to the (unnecessary)
war against non-free software having preference over the improvement
of free software.
 The choice of bzr was perfectly reasonable. Emacs and bzr are part of
the GNU community. The choice has increased the "market share" of bzr
and has already led to improvements.
 Are there still problems? I don't know. I haven't used it yet. If you
find any you should file a bug report.