Re: Release update

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Release update
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:27:00 -0800 (PST)

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > May I suggest that writing a release announcement be part of the
  > > release process?  Something short that summarizes the most important
  > > features would be good to give people reasons to look further in NEWS
  > > and to upgrade, and it's good for PR.  Not everyone wants to read the
  > > 2000 lines NEWS file...
  >
  > We do include a feature summary in the release announcement; see, for
  > instance, the 21.1 and 22.1 release announcements.  This is written up

The 22.1 announcement is the one I had in mind, and it could be improved
a lot.  Something like:

   - New modes and packages, including Calc, Grep, TRAMP, URL, IDO,
     CUA, ERC, rcirc, Table, Image-Dired, SES, Ruler, Org, PGG,
     Flymake, Password, Printing, Reveal, wdired, t-mouse,
     longlines, savehist, Conf mode, Python mode, DNS mode, etc.

   - Abbrev definitions are read automatically at startup.

is not too helpful for a lot of users.  IMHO the announcement should be
readable for people that are not intimately familiar with the emacs internals.