Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Will Farrington
Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:19:05 -0500

On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:10 AM, Nick Roberts wrote:

Daniel Clemente writes:

Hi,
I think this is a very good opportunity to tackle the big projects which
 have been around for a long time and which would improve Emacs
 considerably.

 As examples:

1. Integrate CEDET into Emacs
This will ease support for other languages and integrate features like code completion, syntax checking, project handling, ... Some other tools
 like JDEE (Java support) or ECB could also be included.

2. Good multithreading support for Emacs
This is much wanted, specially for background processes like checking mail. It is necessary to profit from multicore processors, very common
 nowadays.  There were already attempts to do this.

One SoC project involves a student working for about about twelve weeks. I'm not sure how much progress they could make with these tasks in this time. I
would think it is better to have smaller clearly defined ones.

As a student who participated in GSoC last year, I'd be thrilled to do work on Emacs.

Personally, as far as more-accomplishable tasks go, I'd recommend having a couple geared towards bringing various ports (namely the Cocoa one) up to feature parity with the others (namely the Gtk one). These would go a long way towards improving Emacs while being simple enough to work on to be accomplished within the 12-week limit.