Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 06:11:11 +0300

> Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 23:26:54 +0200
> From: grischka <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden
>
> > Emacs still supports older Windows versions where the shell is
> > command.com [...]
>
> Actually no, for more than one reason.  One being that GNU
> make expands it's full path with forward slashes into $(MAKE)
> which would do just nothing at all under command.com.

I didn't say we support _building_ Emacs on those platforms.  But we
do support _running_ Emacs there.  If you know of any problems that
would preclude that, please report them.

(Btw, for the specific problem of Make, its Windows port will never
use command.com as a shell.  Either you have a Unixy shell on your
Path or you need to have cmd.exe.  So for building on such a system,
the only way it can possibly work is if one has a sh.exe somewhere.)