Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 13:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

>>    Perhaps this is too obvious to mention: why not make `next-line'
>>    treat `line-move-visual' as nil whenever it is given a prefix
>>    argument?  It would not be difficult to decorate usage of
>>    C-n/C-p/<up>/<down> with C-1 in macros that already exist.
>>
>> C-u C-n (and its variants) is a very useful movement command.
>
> Indeed.  I hope no one is seriously considering to interpret a numeric
> argument to these commands as anything other than the number of lines
> to move.

I wasn't -- but I was suggesting that a numeric argument specify the
number of lines and (if `line-move-visual is non-nil) change the meaning
of the word "line" for the duration of the command.  My thought is that
visual movement, where it differs from logical, is likely to be over short
distances and with quick bursts of n-n-n (with control held) or
down-down-down rather than with numeric arguments.  Maybe others disagree
on the likely usage scenario.

Davis

shipping.