RE: line-move-visual

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:11:54 -0700

> A few helpful additions would be that (1) there would
> be a way for users to create such customization groups for
> distribution to other users.  They wouldn't be hard-coded, like
> today's customization groups (apparently are).

Yes; see my other reply. It would help to make it easier for users to group
options (and faces).

> And (2) ideally there'd be the opportunity to optionally include
> extended user documentation in amongst the variables to give guidance
> beyond what one might find in the docstrings.  The docstrings can be a
> bit minimal if what you want to do is explain the significance of
> various choices to a user who is only now encountering some new
> concept lying behind a variable.

That's OK, but it's the sharing of such annotations that is most helpful. Your
adding helpful info to a doc string locally doesn't help me understand it better
where I am.

It's helpful to send a bug report with the suggestion, so it can be incorporated
for others to see too. The problem with that is that the official doc must be a
one-size-fits-all, to some extent.

An alternative is to share your extra doc using Emacs Wiki.

One possibility might be (_might_ be - just thinking out loud) to have a doc
string link to an EmacsWiki page that details only that variable, function, or
whatever. This would be somewhat like a doc string link to the manual, but the
difference is that anyone can participate in any way in editing the wiki page.

Just half-baked food for thought.