Re: line-move-visual

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:58:21 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > However, polling the users is a good way for the maintainers to
 > learn how users think about a proposed change.

The problem is that the pollsters rarely design the poll in a way that
encourages thinking at all, let alone conveying the line of thought to
the pollster.  And pollsters generally just report the numerical
results.

Eg, the Gentoo poll is actually a sort of non-binding vote, as I
understand it.  For their purposes, it makes sense to just report
numerical results, and they do allow comments.  A quick perusal of the
comments resulted in zero interesting content beyond the votes (there
was a long subthread that depended on the misconception that LaTeX
source is divided into paragraphs by newlines, the rest of the
comments just reiterated "I do/don't like the feature").  I don't
think it is of much interest to the Emacs maintainers.

If you want to encourage use of polls, then you should set standards
for design and reporting of these polls.