Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:08:22 -0400

> There are 2 proposals for window groups, mine and Martins(which is
> probably more advanced than mine).  I initialy just wanted to be able
> to "pin" windows, so they werent affected by c-x 1 and stuff like
> that.  I really just wanted a small window to hold the information the
> mode-line normaly is misused to hold.  So I wanted something lighter
> than a frame. Oh wait, thats a framelet :)

I still believe also that tab-bars (and tool-bar as well) could/should
be implement(ed|able) in Elisp as "normal windows".  Such windows
obviously need a special treatment and are bound/related to some other
window (or window-tree).  You could think of them as being in
a top-framelet, but I also would like to be able to have tab-bars and
tool-bars attached to individual windows rather than to frames, so it
would appear to be necessary to handle such special windows appearing
not just on the border of a frame.

For this reason, I think that Thomas's proposal is too limited.

        Stefan