Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:21:24 +0200

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>> One way to make it simple to implement that idea could be to have
>> hidden windows
>
> I suppose you mean hidden frames here.  I suppose there won't be a way
> to hide individual Emacs windows ever.

No, I mean hidden windows.

The reason I am proposing it is that it would be a convenient way to
hide/show framelets (ie window groups wich are placed along a frame
border.

As an example consider ECBs windows. There is currently a command in
ECB to hide/show them today. That could be implemented by
hiding/showing a window group.

That window group could be there always for applications to use. It
should not show up by default, but when an application asked for it.
Similar window groups could be there along the other frame borders.

To implement the visual structure that Thomas proposed there have to
be several of them, of course, but it is possible to do it this way.

But I am not sure about the merit of my own proposal here. There was a
suggestion long ago to be able to split the root window that I think
maybe could fullfill nearly the same requirements. The idea of hidden
windows just seem easy to me. Why don't you think we should hide
windows? Is there something that is difficult with it code wise or
conceptually?