Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:44:10 +0800

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
I don't agree in this respect.  Reverting the changes in the branch
will result in breaking compatibility TWICE:

  * On 23.1, between the NS port and the other platforms.
  * On the NS port, between 23.1 and 23.2.

We should provide some care compensating for these breakages.

Note that I'm trying to find a constructive solution as we agree in
many other respects.

One solution is for 23.2 to provide an ns-compat.el library containing wrapper functions mapping the incompatible features to their platform-independent replacements and emitting warnings to inform the user that they should change to use the platform-independent equivalents. Then in 23.3 or 24.1 we could remove this library from Emacs and require users to get it from elsewhere if they still want to use the incompatible features.