Re: New sync'd branch

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:38:24 +0300

On 2009-08-27 13:47 (+0900), Miles Bader wrote:

> [Anyway, anybody that hopes to do much free-software hacking should
> learn git, since it's wildly popular in the free-software world...]

Yes, Git is becoming / is already the standard distributed version
control tool in the free-software world. I love to play with Debian
popularity contest graphs so here's one comparing Git, Bazaar,
Mercurial, CVS and Subversion:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=git-core%2Cbzr%2Cmercurial%2Ccvs%2Csubversion&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&from_date=2006-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

This graph is not about installations, it's about "vote" which means
that the executable files in the package has atime value updated within
certain period of time. It can be translated roughly to "how much the
tool is used" but of course there are many possible inaccuracies.

Another interesting thing is to compare the number of installations and
number of people who actually use the package. About 61% of the people
who have installed git-core package use it regularly. The same number is
only 25% for bzr package.

(n% = vote / inst * 100)
http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=git-core
http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=bzr