Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 02:48:57 +0100

>> If somehow the rebase finds a conflict on the ChangeLog for every
>> rebased revision, you could fix the dates. I know by experience that
>> Subversion generates a conflict every time two changes append lines to a
>> file. If bzr generates a conflict when two changes happen at the top of
>> the ChangeLog file, you could arrange things for this to happen: the
>> first revision should conflict right away; for the second revision to
>> conflict, you'll need to leave the top of the ChangeLog on a way that it
>> can't merge the second revision, etc.
>
> I'd rather have Bazaar not to generate a conflict for changes at the
> top of the file; it's common enough, and I've had my share of them on
> CVS :-)
>
> That said, what you propose could work, but of course it's quite
> hackish.

It works and yes, it is hackish :-) Just make sure that after every
conflict resolve the first line of the ChangeLog differs from the first
line of the next revision.

> Let's hope someday the rebase plugin will grow an option to
> rebase interactively, stopping before the commit.

There is a big chance that adding that feature is very easy, and plugins
are not under the very strict development policy of Bazaar, so submit a
feature request to the plugin tracker:

https://launchpad.net/bzr-rewrite

--
Óscar