Re: bzr workflow

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr workflow
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:20:45 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:02:37 +0900
>
> No.  I just really dislike that workflow, personally.  (I accumulate
> typo fixes and the like separately -- what's the rush? -- and don't
> trust even the simplest code change to be correct without testing, at
> least a compile, link, re-byte-compile, run test suite -- so my
> quickfixes are batched, too.)  But that's a personal bias that I was
> aware of, and I hope I mostly accounted for.

Testing before committing is (or should be) good practice, not just
personal bias.  I always at least rebuild Emacs, even if it's just a
typo in a comment, before committing.  I was doing that with CVS as
well.  There's nothing more embarrassing than botching the build by
committing untested changes.

> But in Bazaar with trunk bound to the public repo, that won't happen.
> I didn't realize how powerful that technique would be.  I still don't
> like it myself, but now I have convinced myself that it won't cause
> any issues for other developers.  So I do not oppose including it
> in BzrForEmacsDevs.

Yes, I think we should do that.  I'm doing all my quick-fixing stuff
in the trunk directly.