Re: Integrating package.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:17:23 -0700

>>>>> "Phil" == Phil Hagelberg <address@hidden> writes:

Phil> OK, if that's the most important to you then we should focus on that
Phil> next. I imagine it might be a fairly invasive modification though;
Phil> perhaps Tom could offer some hints on how it could be implemented
Phil> since he's the only one really familiar with the package activation
Phil> logic?

I think the default should be to activate the most recent package, and
to activate a package at install time.  So, if the user picks a specific
older version to activate (or equivalently deactivates the most recent
version), record that, and take it into account during activation.

This would also need some changes in package-activate and the package
menu mode, and also we'd have to store some more info somewhere in
~/.emacs.d/elpa/.

Tom