Re: Integrating package.el

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:29:03 +0900

Phil Hagelberg writes:

 > I think supporting the distinction between system-level installs vs
 > user-level installs is the biggest blocker (besides more thorough
 > testing) to including package.el in Emacs. I would like to implement
 > this, but it probably won't happen within the next month unless
 > someone else steps up to start work on it.

Warning: I'm not really sure what the problems are[1], but the user
install vs. system install distinction has never really worked right
in XEmacs's package system.  It probably just requires a little bit of
thought[2], but it will be well worth it in reducing user frustration
if you take care in designing this feature.

Footnotes:
[1]  Probably partly an incomplete design and partly PEBKACs.

[2]  My apologies to whoever implemented that part of our system, but
that's my opinion. ;-)