finder.el UI (was: Keywords)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: finder.el UI (was: Keywords)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:25:54 -0500

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:33:03 +0200 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> There are remaining two tasks in finder.el that I think would be useful:
JL> ;; Things to do:
JL> ;;    1. Support multiple keywords per search.  This could be extremely
hairy;
JL> ;; there doesn't seem to be any way to get completing-read to exit on
JL> ;; an EOL with no substring pending, which is what we'd want to end the
loop.
JL> ;;    2. Search by string in synopsis line?

Is there any possibility of rethinking the UI of finder.el?  It's
very... episodic.

The BBDB UI, for instance, does a great job filtering and displaying a
few choices from a large list.  The Gnus summary/article buffers are
another good UI example, with the limiting commands.  package.el can
list hundreds of packages concisely.

Ted