Re: finder.el UI (was: Keywords)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: finder.el UI (was: Keywords)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:48:03 +0200

> Is there any possibility of rethinking the UI of finder.el?  It's
> very... episodic.

Yes, the old finder UI was too ad-hoc.  This is the reason why
there was a task in etc/TODO to replace it with the Info UI
that I implemented for 23.2 with `M-x info-finder'.

> The BBDB UI, for instance, does a great job filtering and displaying a
> few choices from a large list.  The Gnus summary/article buffers are
> another good UI example, with the limiting commands.  package.el can
> list hundreds of packages concisely.

package.el has a different usage of keywords.  While Info UI is useful
for informational purposes (to find a package etc.), the purpose of
package.el is to select and install a package.  This requires
a different UI.  I think the most convenient UI for this task
would be UI like http://www.jurta.org/en/emacs/ee/finder

Please note that I don't propose to use this package as is
in package.el.  I'm referring to its UI that would be useful
for package.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/