Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:32:51 +0100

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

>> It is new users that should be treated with respect. All of them know
>> these CUA key bindings. All of them use them. (If they are not computer
>> illiterates.)
>
> But please do not think you
> have a monopoly on respect for new users.

I am glad I do not have that ;-)

I just wanted to make the real subject a bit more visible.

> But I'm not convinced that the only rationale for the current Emacs bindings
> is
> the sorry weight of legacy.

If  it were not for the CUA keys the Emacs bindings were a good
choice. (But I really do recommend sticky keys for those that use
them.)

It is not hard at all to understand the choices. But if CUA keys had
been used before Emacs then I guess Emacs key bindings would have
included them and looked quite a bit different.

I am still all for adding "skins" for this type of change.

> Why? Isn't it just as troublesome that C-z means `resume-frame'?

resume-frame hardly needs such an important (easy to type) key
binding. undo is far more common.

> I, for one, am not convinced that CUA or Viper is the best way to promote
> Emacs
> productivity.

CUA *and* Viper ;-)