Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 22:46:19 +0300

>> I think changing the argument VISIBLE_OK won't help.  The existing
>> calls of `other-buffer' (where VISIBLE_OK is nil) should keep the
>> current behavior of `other-buffer' that prefers not visible buffers
>> to visible buffers (when the window-local buffer-list is empty).
>
> You mean that when the window-local buffer-list is not empty these calls
> should be allowed to choose a visible buffer?  What if an application
> wants to specify for a specific call that `other-buffer' does not return
> a visible buffer?

Then `other-buffer' is too low-level to implement this.
Maybe `kill-buffer' and `bury-buffer' are more suitable places.

>> I see no problem if we will push the current buffer to the window-local
>> buffer-list in the same places in code where currently the buffer is
>> pushed to the frame-local buffer-list (and buried-buffer-list).
>
> We'd change the behavior for people used to see the same buffer in two
> windows simultaneously only for the short period when they've split a
> window and have not yet shown the wanted buffer in it.

I don't see a problem with `split-window': after splitting, the second
window's buffer-list is empty, thus it adheres to the current behavior.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/