Performance

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Performance
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 21:05:54 -0400

It seems that functionality-wise, the bidi code is almost as good as it
was before bidi.  But performancewise, I experience some problems.
I recently started to compile without -DENABLE_CHECKING and other such
debugging code (tho still with -O0 and -g) and am seeing cases where
cursor motion is slow.  The problem is most notable in operations such
as C-e or C-n/C-p (tho those tend to be fast enough as long as I'm in
column 0).
Redisplay itself also seems to be noticeable slower at times.

This usually shows up after I open a few different buffers&frames (like
when I have 10 frames or more (each one showing a single file), where
most frames are sized 80x89).

With -DENABLE_CHECKING, -DXASSERTS, and -DFONTSET_DEBUG, the slowdown is
*very* noticeable, to the point of making Emacs sometimes painful
to use.
My machines range from Atom netbooks to core i7, so not "too old to
be relevant".

        Stefan